Sunday, October 30, 2011

Unexpected Blessing

I knew coming to Haiti would mean Bud & I would have a lot more time to just "be together". Not that we didn't spend a lot of time together before coming, but at home during the days we each had our "own" places to be. Now, we wake together, walk to the office together, have lunch together, and return from the office together to spend the evening together before going to bed together. Now, for some, that sounds like misery, but I'm mostly enjoying it :)  What I'm enjoying the most is getting to "watch from the sidelines" as he interacts with people during the week. He's made not being able to speak Creole (while some days very frustrating), an opportunity to joke and make fun of himself using humility and humor to get through the difficulty of not "speaking the same language". Within the first two weeks we were here he had a Haitian tell him that he should be a comedian!

Bud never misses the opportunity to introduce himself as Ti Bud (little Bud). This always either gets a roar of laughter or raised eyebrows, both of which end up being an opportunity that creates more interaction and explanation as to WHY he's Ti Bud (because he was the second Bud to arrive on the compound he will always be "little or second" regardless of physical size - he has a good 50-lbs. on the Gro (big) Bud).

Many times during the day I witness him in the midst of a circle of Haitians (he's rather easy to spot!) laughing and joking together and I think about what heaven will be like when we can all "speak the same language" and have nothing but time to enjoy being together. Bud will be ready for that part of heaven - I think I need a lot more practice and I think I'm going to get a lot of it living here! If this is one thing the Lord wanted me to learn while serving in Haiti, I'm glad the Lord brought me to Haiti with my best friend who I'm thankful to say is also my husband. And yes Lord, I'm watching and learning.


No comments: