Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Just when I'm thinking...

...what am I doing here? God reminds me in very simple ways. Most days I'm back and forth from my house to the office, from the office to the house and, in order to be effective in the Starfish Kids ministry, I NEED to be doing the "office" thing, but that doesn't mean that some days you begin to question if you're really effective or doing anything really lasting.

Since last Tuesday we've been hosting a team from the Florida area. The group came to do two things - help with a remodel project on Cowman International School, and provide a three-day VBS for one of our Starfish Kids schools located in Babiole. Throughout the week I was torn about whether to stay in the office (where I had a ton of work to get done) or join the ladies at Bible School. Another missionary, Erica Thompson (who is a teacher and fluent in Creole), went with the group as well as another Haitian friend to help. It's not like the ladies really needed me. They had a lot of good help and were all experienced at doing VBS in Haiti. I saw to it that they had their supplies, a translator, a vehicle and a driver and I tried to be a daily encouragement as they drove out the gates heading for VBS.

By Friday, I was really feeling like I wanted to get in on the action! Every day the women were returning with stories of what they'd done and all the fun the kids were having - as well as the children who were responding to the daily evangelistic message. God was at work in the lives of these young hearts!

Friday morning I decided - now or never and joined the team.  For the most part I was there to observe, take photos, and PLAY with the kids! And what fun it was! The team had brought ball caps  with "Jesus Lives" on them. The children were each given crayons and proceeded to color their hats. With two simple crayons the children diligently created their own "works of art" and had a lot of fun doing it! You didn't have to understand all the language to interpret the smiles on their faces and the giggles. Once their hats were done, they ALL wanted their photo taken. I couldn't get them all, but I sure had fun with the ones I did take!

When I returned to the office later that day, I realized, they didn't NEED ME at VBS, that was covered, but I NEEDED VBS to be reminded that everything I'm doing in the office helps to develop, maintain, and grow the relationships between sponsors and their students that enables the Starfish Kids Program to continue to evangelize and bless the children of Haiti.

I praise God for the little reminders He graciously gives...


Starfish Kids is a child evangelism through education program that connects sponsors to children in Haiti. We have 37 schools in some of the poorest areas in the country. If you're interested in more information, please shoot me an email at: starfishkids@onemissionsociety.org


Nearly 300 kids waiting for VBS to begin...

Anxiously awaiting their hats!



Two cuties!



Amos, our driver, helping the children.


Look at those eyes!

Another couple of cuties. On Sunday, the one in the orange found me and gave me a huge hug! Thank you Jesus!


Yeah; I think the next time a VBS comes to town I might have to go every day!

2 comments:

Stacey Ayars said...

Ah, Cindy....this is a GREAT post! I always tell Matt that as much as I'd like to be a full-time stay at home mom, I NEED those few hours in the classroom with the students to remind me why we're in Haiti! You NEED those times to get out there and get messy to be reminded of the calling and WHY what you're doing is SO vital! So glad you got to go and missing you both terribly. love and prayers...

Penney said...

Oh Cindy..loved the post! You are doing a great job with Starfish Kids...so glad you could experience the fun and joy of being in the classroom and be reminded of the reason you are there! Miss you...